viernes, 8 de febrero de 2008

My mixed-up country

The recent furore over Lewis Hamilton's appearance in Spain - when four men blacked up and hurled abuse at the driver - has made me think about my new country.

Sadly, we've become used to such things. One of the Hamilton men has said he is not racist and only dressed up for the fun of carnival. Not like the woman I met the other day at the bus stop. Hearing my accent, she asked where I was from. Hearing I was English, she kissed both my cheeks and welcomed me to Spain . . . before proudly pronouncing: "No me gustan los immigrantes" (I don't like immigrants) and "Soy racista" (I'm a racist). She didn't like people from Africa, Morroco, "any of those places". OK, as she went on it was easy to see she wasn't the full euro but we've had students, high-up businessmen, feel perfectly at ease making the same declarations to us. A good friend of our is constantly referred to as "el negro" - the black man - without any ill feeling meant. To them, he is black and a man . . . what's wrong with saying "the truth"?

Hopefully, as more immigrants come to Spain and they integrate, this policy will change. Sadly, for the older generation, I think it's a lost cause. They were brought up on Franco's pride in being Spanish and it still shows. Years of isolation are hard to undo.

4 comentarios:

Nick Poole dijo...

Don't think there are no racists in Blighty.

I remember when Mr Bowyer and Mr Woodgate had their fun night out and the front pages were covered with a young Asian man beaten black & blue. When I bought the paper in Herne Bay, I remarked on the state he was in to the woman behind the counter.

She replied: "I don't like him. He's the wrong colour."

I hadn't had breakfast yet and I felt even more queasy.

Timberati dijo...

Nor here in the "States" despite having a man of color running for president. I am worried that someone will think it their duty to keep him from winning.

Lizziee dijo...

I think it's so open here that it shocks me . . . but mebbes that's not so bad. When it's open, you can argue and fight it more. Hidden away - like sexism and ageism too - it's much tougher to do. We're watching the US elections too and sadly, think the same way as you, Timber beast

Timberati dijo...

There has been talk. Here's a link to the southern Poverty Law Center, they keep watch on such things. http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2008/02/20/racist-attacks-on-obama-growing-more-heated/